Saving money can be automatic with some simple actions that would reduce your monthly spending. Some actions, which can include lowering your monthly cash outflows by as much as $400, include:
- Using a programmable thermostat which can be used to automatically raise and lower the temperature in your home, resulting in energy savings.
- Increasing insurance deductibles for your home and auto insurance which will likely result in an annual savings of several hundred dollars.
- Practicing less aggressive driving; using a constant speed can save money on fuel costs.
- Seeking out ways to reduce your communication bills, such as using basic cable along with streaming video on your computer. Also, using a free texting app on your phone.
- Using a refillable water bottle can save hundreds of dollars by not buying bottled water.
To ensure that you actually save this money, each month, have funds automatically moved into a savings account or investment program.
For additional information on saving, go to:
- Have students conduct online research to determine various actions to reduce spending and increase savings.
- Have students interview several people to determine various actions that might be considered for reducing spending.
- What actions have you taken to reduce spending and increase savings?
- Explain short-term and long-term benefits of reduced spending.