Disputing an Error in Your Credit Report

If you find an error in a report from a credit reporting agency, you may submit a dispute not only to the credit reporting agency, but also directly to the company that is the source of the information. If the company corrects your information as a result of your dispute, it must notify all of the credit reporting agencies to which it provided the inaccurate information, so they can update their reports with the correct information.

If you submit a dispute by mail, your dispute letter should include your complete name, address, telephone number, your confirmation number (if available), and the account number.  Clearly identify each mistake, state the facts, explain why you are disputing the information, and request that it be removed or corrected.

You may want to enclose a copy of the portion of your credit report that contains the disputed items and circle or highlight the disputed items.  You should include copies (not originals) of documents that support your position.  Send your letter by certified mail and ask for a return receipt, so that you will have a record that you letter was received.

For more information, click here.

Teaching Suggestions

  • Ask students to request their own credit report and check for any errors.
  • Ask students to draft a letter of complaint if they find any errors in their credit report.

Discussion Questions

  1. Where else can consumers submit a credit reporting complaint?
  2. If you suspect that error in your credit report as a result of an identity theft, what steps can you take to protect yourself?
Categories: Chapter 5, Credit Mistakes | Tags: | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: