Resumes continue to evolve. To have a modern-looking resume, consider these suggestions:
- Use keywords from the job description that will allow the applicant tracking systems (ATS) to select your resume.
- Adapt your resume to each position for which you apply. Use organization-specific keywords to help you get an interview.
- Eliminate your photos and references from your resume.
- Include social media links for the recruiter to obtain additional information on your background and activities.
- Make use of callout boxes, in addition to bullet points and line breaks, to highlight key experiences, qualifications, and accomplishments.
For additional information on updating your resume, click here.
- Have students talk to others to obtain suggestions for updating a resume.
- Have students create a resume based on these suggestions.
- What are common mistakes people make on resumes?
- How might a person improve the effectiveness of their resume?