In December 2016, Social Security launched a new service for my Social Security account holders where they can check on the status of an application for benefits or an appeal filed with Social Security. The service provides detailed information about retirement, disability, survivors, Medicare, and Supplemental Security Income claims and appeals filed either online at socialsecuarity.gov or with a Social Security employee.
The ability to check your application status is available online to everyone who has or opens a secure my Social Security. You can open an account at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount. The service provides important information about your claim or appeal including
- date of filing,
- current claim location,
- scheduled hearing date and time, and
- claim or appeal decision.
If you are unable to open a my Social Security account you can still call 1-800-772-1213 to check your claim status by using the automated system using the confirmation number you received when you filed your claim.
For more information click here.
You may want to use the information in this blog and the original article to
- Stress the importance of learning about my Social Security and other services provided by the Social Security Administration.
- Encourage students to visit the Social Security website and open a my Social Security account.
- What might be some advantages of opening my Social Security account?
- What might be some drawbacks to open my Social Security account?
- Can hackers get into your my Social Security account?