While smartphone apps have made banking easier than ever, threats to financial security continue to grow. However, some simple actions can be taken to avoid banking app mistakes.
1. Don’t conduct banking transactions on public Wi-Fi networks since they are vulnerable to hackers. Use a virtual private network (VPN), which provides added security and encryption.
2. Log out after your session to prevent a thief from getting access to your bank account.
3. Select a not-so-obvious username. Create password recovery questions with responses that are difficult to obtain from public records.
4. Update your app when a new version is available to take advantage new security features.
5. Create a strong password with special characters, and it should be at least 12 characters long. Change your password every 90 days.
For additional information on banking app errors, click here.
- Have students talk with others about their experiences using banking apps.
- Have students locate online information about the latest security features fof banking apps.
- What are benefits of costs of banking apps?
- How might banking apps be improved for increased financial security?